We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
False medical messages can have drastic consequences
English media is currently reporting on a woman who followed a false message on the Internet and suffered brain death as a result. Apparently, the 39-year-old drank a liter of soy sauce after reading that this could pull poisoning out of the body. The woman paid the so-called “soy sauce colon cleansing” with her life.
Dr. Bernard describes selected medical cases on his YouTube channel "Chubbyemu". In a recent video, he presents a case in which a 39-year-old American was hospitalized in the Illinois Medical District hospital for drinking a liter of soy sauce shortly before.
How it came about
According to Bernard, the patient suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and was only released from a psychiatric clinic shortly before the incident. She firmly believed that the government was systematically poisoning the population. So she looked for ways to detoxify herself. On the Internet, she came across the soy sauce colon cleansing method. This dangerous theory, based on half-truths, says that soy sauce frees the body of all toxins because the salty liquid in the intestine draws all the toxins out of the body. Dr. Bernard warns against such false reports in view of the case.
What actually happens when you drink a liter of soy sauce
As the doctor reports, the patient believed the wrong detoxification method and drank a liter of soy sauce. Shortly afterwards she noticed a violent heartbeat. A short time later, she collapsed unconscious. Her husband immediately called the ambulance. When she was admitted to the hospital, her heart had already stopped. She was resuscitated in the hospital, but the high levels of salt in the blood had already wreaked havoc.
Brain death could not be prevented
Bernard describes how doctors resuscitated a glucose-containing fluid into the body after the resuscitation to thin the blood and lower the salt concentration. But the salt concentration in the brain was already too high. The salt drained the fluid from the brain, causing it to shrink, causing permanent brain damage. After a four-day coma, the woman regained consciousness, but was unable to move, swallow, or speak. The attending doctors found brain death shortly afterwards.
Salt is highly concentrated like a poison
According to the Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (IfA) of the German statutory accident insurance, the consumption of 0.5 to 1 gram of salt per kilo of body weight can lead to toxic reactions with symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, severe thirst and damage to the mucous membranes in the mouth and digestive tract. A strong increase in salt concentration in the blood leads to an increase in blood volume with simultaneous dehydration of the tissues. This leads to symptoms such as muscle weakness, blood in the vessels and brain, changes in blood clotting, high blood pressure and nerve disorders. In severe cases, collapse, cramps, cerebral edema or pulmonary edema are possible.
How much salt is in soy sauce?
According to the IfA, an amount of salt from 40 grams can be toxic for an adult weighing 80 kilos. Depending on the variety, soy sauce contains between 100 and 200 grams of salt per liter. How much salt is actually healthy? The German Society for Nutrition (DGE) recommends a salt intake of a maximum of 6 grams of table salt per day.